Order of Defense
To see a list of the Kingdoms Order of Defense go to Order of Defense
"Aten master defense.png" by Anita Challis is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Who They Are
The Order of Defense is a Society-wide order given for excellence in rapier, and cut-and-thrust, style combat. It is one of the four major Bestowed Peerages and confers a Patent of Arms. Members of this order are referred to as Masters and Mistresses of Defense (MoD).
Members of the order are recognized for their great skill at rapier plus their qualities of courtesy and grace; their willingness to teach others; and for service to the kingdom.
As it is an accolade recognized throughout the Society, any MoDs who move into Atenveldt are welcomed as equal members of the Order of Defense in Atenveldt.
The SCA College of heralds reserves the following badge/regalia for the Order of Defense:
- (Tinctureless) Three rapiers in pall inverted tips crossed
- (Fieldless) A white livery collar
As laid out in the "Sumptuary Traditions and Guidelines of the Kingdom of Atenveldt"
"White Livery Collars with the suspended badge of the Masters of the Order of Defense are reserved exclusively to members of the order."
Members of this order are referred to as Masters and Mistresses of Defense. However the SCA encourages peers to use alternative titles that may fit their persona's culture or persona.
Peerages are the highest level of award given in the SCA and they recognize outstanding service to the Kingdom or expertise in a particular area. However a peer is more than that, they have to show qualities worthy of the title of peer – such as courtesy and respect to others, be passionate about sharing their knowledge, and play a significant role in our community. In short, be the kind of person we want to admire. SCA Corpora outlines these traits as follows:
Our Peers can be some of the most well-known and respected members of the SCA community. The Candidates for any order conferring a Patent of Arms must meet the following minimum criteria. Additional requirements may be set by law and custom of the kingdoms as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Crown.
- They shall have been obedient to the governing documents of the Society and the laws of the kingdom.
- They shall have consistently shown respect for the Crown of the kingdom.
- They shall have set an example of courteous and noble behavior suitable to a peer of the realm.
- They shall have demonstrated support for the aims and ideals of the Society by being as authentic in dress, equipment and behavior as is within their power.
- They shall have shared their knowledge and skills with others.
- They shall have practiced hospitality according to their means and as appropriate to the circumstances.
- They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those skills desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they should have some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including but not limited to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have some familiarity with combat as practiced in the Society.
- They should participate in Society recreations of several aspects of the culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
Each candidate for a patent order must satisfy the general requirements listed above, as well as the specific requirements listed here
Members of the Order of Defense may choose to swear fealty, but are not required to do so. The candidate must be considered the equal of his or her prospective peers with the basic weapons of rapier and/or cut-and-thrust combat. The candidate must have applied this skill and/or knowledge for the instruction of members and service to the kingdom to an extent above and beyond that normally expected of members of the Society.
The duties of the members of the order are as follows:
- To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct on and off the field of honor.
- To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the Laws of the kingdom and Corpora.
- If in fealty, to support and uphold the Crown of his or her kingdom.
- To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
- To enhance the renown and defend the honor of the peer’s Lady or Lord.
- To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Order of Defense.
All MoDs are entitled to take students. As laid out in the "Sumptuary Traditions and Guidelines of the Kingdom of Atenveldt" students may wear red livery collars with the arms of their peer. The most common name right now to refer to their students is Provost, but some MODs use other names like Accomplice, or even Agent.
Ceremonies & Vigils
- SCA Board of Directors. “Creation of the Order of Defense.” Society Seneschal, Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., 3 Feb. 2015, socsen.sca.org/creation-of-the-order-of-defense/
- Cromarty, Lachlan of. “Order of Defense.” Order of Defense - Compendum Caidis, Kingdom of Caid, SCA Inc, 4 Feb. 2015, caidwiki.org/index.php?title=Order_of_Defense.
- “Glossary of Terms - Table 1 Reserved Regalia.” SCA Inc. College of Arms Glossary of Terms, December 23, 2003, College of Arms for the Society of Creative Anachronism, Nov. 2019, heraldry.sca.org/coagloss.html.
- Kingdom Seneschal. “Sumptuary Traditions and Guidelines of the Kingdom of Atenveldt.”, Kingdom of Atenveldt, SCA Inc, 1 May 2018, docs.google.com/document/d/114dEXuQtmK0YujX0bTf9W5CEtlhGFcZSR0B7XtvqEoc/edit.
- “The List of Alternate Titles as Approved by the SCA College of Arms.” Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., Nov. 2019, heraldry.sca.org/titles.html. Titles from different languages/cultures. Good for all titles within the SCA (AoA, Peers,Royalty)
- Section VIII.A.1 "Patent of Arms - General Requirements" The Corpora of the SCA, SCA Inc., 19 Oct. 2019, www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/govdocs.pdf.
- “Section VIII.A.4.d "Patent Orders - The Order of Defense" The Corpora of the SCA, SCA Inc., 19 Oct. 2019, www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/govdocs.pdf.
|All Awards||B. of Atenveldt||Tir Ysgithr|
|Sun Dragon||Mons Tonitrus||Twin Moons|
|Ered Sul||Granite Mountain|