Defenders of the White Scarf of Atenveldt
History of the award
Lace representing a White Scarf taken from "A treatise on lace-making and embroidery, with Barbour's Irish flax thread (1900)" by Internet Archive Book Images is in the Public Domain
This was the kingdom's highest level award to recognize the achievements of rapier fighters, conferring a Grant of Arms. The Queen bestowed this award, often consulting with the Order for their recommendations. This award was used across many kingdoms but was not considered a society-wide award. The Order was closed in May 2019 after the SCA created the peerage order Masters of Defense (MoD)
In Anno Societatis XXVIII in the Reign of Alan and Corisande, there was created an award known as the Order of the Defenders of the White Scarf. On February 20, 1994 Gwylym ap Owain Tatershal was created Premier of the Order.
- There shall exist in the Kingdom of Atenveldt an Award known as the Order of the Defenders of the White Scarf which may be given by the Crown to those persons who have demonstrated excellence in the art of defense with the rapier, given freely of their expertise in the use and artistry of this weapon form, demonstrated knowledge of the courtly graces which accompany its mastery, and who have provided service and continuing obedience to Our Laws and the Ideals of the Society for Creative Anachronism.
- The Queen shall bestow the Order of the White Scarf upon the candidate.
- Membership in the Order shall not be limited.
- The members of the Order shall be styled Defenders of the White Scarf and shall be entitled to place after their names the initials D.W.S.
- The insignia of the Order shall be a White Scarf worn over the left shoulder. The Scarf may be decorated with simple trim in the subject's own heraldic colors and may be clasped with a sun in its splendor Or.
- Companions of the Order shall take precedence after the Peerage but before simple Grants of Arms.
- The Order shall carry with it a Grant of Arms.
- The Crown shall be the Principals of the Order and shall share all the rights, privileges and responsibilities of the Order.
- The membership in the order of all previous recipients is hereby confirmed.
This order is hereby closed by command of Their Royal Majesties Morgan and Elizabeth,King and Queen of Atenveldt. Done by Our Hands this 4th day of May, Anno Societatis LIV, also known as 2019.
Morgan, King Elizabeth, Queen
Seamus McDaid, Aten Principal Herald